[vox] OT Never Winter Nights Client beta 1 available

Michael J Wenk vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 18:30:20 -0800

No matter which way you look it, if you buy a NWN license, you are
supporting linux games.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Jay Salzman" <p@dirac.org>
To: <vox@lists.lugod.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 5:31 PM
Subject: Re: [vox] OT Never Winter Nights Client beta 1 available

> begin Michael J Wenk <mwenk@comcast.net>
> > Actually, when you buy it, you're paying for a license to buy the
game(both
> > windows and linux versions.)
>
> actually, when you buy it, the industry counts it as a "PC sale".   PC
> sales in the gaming industry, right now, means windows.

And will in 99.9% likelyhood mean windows for the future.  I don't feel like
calculating the odds of this changing, but I would imagine them to be
extremely low.

For right now of course, and likely the next 3 years.

> which license you pay for, unfortunately, doesn't mean jack.

It does to me, and I don't really care what others feel.  I dropped a letter
to Bioware(the eveloper) and Infogrames(the distributor) thanking them for
making a game on linux.  I feel that I have done my part at least.

> actually, you can buy your windows version from tuxgames.  these sales
> are not considered "PC sales" but unofficial linux sales.   do a google
> for "tuxgames" and "wolfenstein".  you'll find information on that.
>
> however, tuxgames is in england and their shipping and handling rates
> are ... sucky.   i was charged nearly 10 dollars shipping for sin.
> same shipping for shogo.  :( :( :(

That is cost prohibitive for me right now.  Maybe not in the future, but
right now, I can't justify it to myself.

[snip]

Thanks for looking that up.

Mike