[vox] Re: spam control: send email to confirm

Sam Peterson vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:20:26 -0700

On Wednesday, Jun 25 2003, Micah J. Cowan spake thus:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 07:48:52PM -0700, Sam Peterson wrote:
>
> > > But there really isn't any other way I can think of to confirm
> > > e-mails reliably.
> >
> > PGP/GPG but that's way too complicated a bag-o-worms to open up for
> > mailing list subscriptions.
>
> How would you use PGP to accomplish this? You could sign your
> request, but you would need to have some way for the server to
> obtain a copy of your public key, and verify that it is indeed the
> property of the e-mail address claiming to own it. This is nearly
> impossible.

Alright, yeah, shoot, you're right.  I was thinking that a web gateway
would retrieve the pgp/gpg key from a keyserver based on the email
that was entered and then you'd send a signed email to the mailing
list request address for confirmation.  But since so many people don't
use pgp/gpg, it's easy for someone to make a key for an email address
arbitrarily.

| sam -- Programmer I                                                |
| University of California, Davis : Hart Interdisciplinary Programs  |
| GPG Fingerprint: 4F08 E33E 92A2 EA88 CE75  75DC D84C 6046 0240 515F|