[vox] [OT] pacbell making life miserable again

Peter Jay Salzman vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 07:38:46 -0700

hi all,

we just were given a late fee by pacbell for not paying our phone bill
on time.  however, we paid our phone bill in full, early, with a check
for the proper amount.

as it turns out, for some reason i can't begin to guess, our check was
cashed for the wrong amount.  in other words, the check was made out for
X, but was cashed for Y, where Y < X.  thus "we didn't pay the full bill
on time" even though we sent in the proper amount.

the pacbell business office was unhelpful and even downright surly.
their response was basically "if want, you can try to get the late fee
taken off if you don't mind spending a long time waiting while the
proper people get around to taking your call".

who is likely to be culpable here?  pacbell certainly could've been
nicer, as in "wow, that totally sucks.  i'll take the late fee off your
bill right away".   but who is actually at fault?  pacbell?  the bank
that pacbell uses?

and if pacbell is at fault, is there some agency i can report this to?

pete