[vox] LUGOD yard sale (was re: [OT] For Sale: WebTV unit)

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:09:31 -0700

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 05:41:07PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> excellent idea, bill!!!  i've got loads of computer equipment, books
> and electronics i'd like to unload.  that i *have* to unload before
> moving.

Hehe - I hadn't even THOUGHT about you.  I'm glad I decided to bother
suggesting it!

So far, it sounds like at least a FEW people are pretty excited about
the idea.  Perhaps we can get interest from the CS club folks as well...
I know at least a few people from UCD who are _insane_ pack-rats.
(Like, they sleep under computer equipment in their bedroom)

The suggestion of doing it at Z-World's parking lot isn't a bad one.
I'll see if I can poke Joel or Jim about it.

I'm guessing doing it on a weekend makes the most sense.  What days work
well for people?

  Sat Jun 28
  Sun Jun 29

  Sat Jul  5   [ too close to July 4th? ]
  Sun Jul  6

  Sat Jul 12
  Sun Jul 13

  Sat Jul 19
  Sun Jul 20   [ this is an Installfest day, so probably a bad idea ]

  Sat Jul 26   [ first weekend after...
  Sun Jul 27     ... big EFF talk @ LUGOD ]

> i don't mind donating 100% proceeds to lugod.  heck.  most of it would
> be tossed, recycled or given away anyhow.

Indeed.  I typically donate stuff to the SPCA ThriftStore, but I realize
a lot of the kind of stuff people would want to get rid of have a very...
unique audience these days...  (Don't worry, I'm not planning on ditching
my Ataris! ;^) )

> might be a good venue to also have that bake sale we've been joking
> about for 4 years now...   :-)

I think we could certainly do that.  People would want to snack while
browsing, I'm sure. :^)

Henry - is there any issue with LUGOD itself putting something like this
together?  Should it be done simply by volunteers who then donate the
proceeds to LUGOD.  Any tax issues?

Thanks!

In the meantime, I'll contact the CS Club @ UC Davis, and Z-World...