[vox] [fwd] UUG SCO Protest

Michael Wenk vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 17:40:13 -0700

On Friday 20 June 2003 11:23 am, Mike Simons wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 02:01:24PM -0700, zeruch@damagestudios.com wrote:
> > Protests are by their design....generally futile.  A better bet would be
> > to buy a handful of publicly traded shares (sold short probably) and then
> > show up at the next shareholder meeting with a series of fairly probing
> > questions that puts a bit more pressure than a bunch of techno-hippies
> > (as they will be perceived) bitching about the *bad SCO people*...
>
>   I agree this would be interesting.
>
> - When is SCO's next shareholder meeting?
>
> > Otherways would be to find out if your workplace has any Unixware licenes
> > and see to it that they dont get renewed.
>
>   I also agree.  It would be nice to track down each company that *is*
> still using SCO and try to sell them a Linux replacement.  I wonder how
> difficult it would be to track down SCO's customers and organize a
> community based targeted sales operation to zero SCO's revenue.
>
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 04:23:00PM -0700, Richard Crawford wrote:
> > McBride successfully sued Microsoft, and he successfully sued Ikon for
> > several million dollars while he was working for them.  He may be looking
> > at the history books and thinking that this may be his biggest challenge
> > yet.
>
>   McBride had no part in the lawsuit against Microsoft.  He has only been
> CEO there since June of last year.  Other members of the board or
> management may be responsible for Microsoft and IBM suits but it is not
> McBride.
>
>   The case for DR DOS was settled with Microsoft in about 2000, the terms
> of the settlement are closed.  There are reports that Caldera won between
> $150 to $400 million.

Lets not forget that Microsoft already has a bunch of legal encumbrances, and
whether SCO actually had a legal claim or not was not the only question here.
However in SCO vs IBM, IBM has not the same problems that MS does.  IBM could
potentially force the issue.  The question is, would this ever go to a jury
trial.  I can see SCO wanting this, but IBM not.  If SCO could get this, I
could see IBM wanting to settle in the case.  If not, then the question is a
bit more muddy and judge dependent...

Mike

--
wenk@praxis.homedns.org