[vox] [fwd] UUG SCO Protest

Michael Wenk vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:34:47 -0700

On Thursday 19 June 2003 02:15 pm, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 01:49:18PM -0700, Michael Wenk wrote:
> > Given 90% of the SCO case is about advertising, I don't see why we are
> > giving them freebies.  If anything we should be demonstrating at IBM and
> > giving them publicity...
>
> Yeah, it's publicity, but only idiots enjoy negative publicity (just
> ask Gov. Davis). Yeah, it's about advertising, but if you ask me, it's
> backfiring. I don't expect them to be around much longer...
>
> Besides, regardless of whether it's in support or protest,
> demonstrations can be annoying to those subjected to them; better to
> annoy SCO than IBM ;)
>
> -Micah

My opinion is that SCO don't care.  They're so far down in terms of being
viable, that they're betting the farm on this suit.  They're either hoping to
be bought or paid off to get out of IBM's way, and the only weapon they have
is the ability to throw mud at em.  Its corporate blackmail, pure and simple.
So in this case, I think SCO is looking for as much publicity, whether it be
good or bad as possible.  Will it work?  I really doubt it, but they think
they can hurt IBM, at least a bit.  Guess we'll see.

Mike

--
wenk@praxis.homedns.org
Mike Wenk