[vox] Beer + Cat + New Laptop Computer = Bad

Ken Herron vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 06 Jun 2003 16:29:31 -0700

--On Friday, June 06, 2003 15:51:14 -0700 Richard Crawford
<rscrawford@mossroot.com> wrote:

> What's the best way to clean a laptop computer keyboard?  Hard drive,
> memory, CPU, etc., all appear to be fine, but things hang when I try to
> boot up, as though a key is stuck in the down position.

If you have a digital camera it may be helpful to take a picture of the
keyboard first so that you have a record of the layout.

You can try popping off a few keycaps to see if you can get to the sticky
parts or not. If the sticky surfaces are accessible then you may be able
to clean it manually, but if it's gotten inside the mechanical parts of
the switches then you have a problem.

I've heard of people running keyboards and circuit boards through the
dishwasher. Don't use any soap, don't let the dishwasher go through its
drying cycle, and give the keyboard plenty of time to air dry before
trying to use it again. Lotsa luck.

--
Kenneth Herron  Kherron@newsguy.com     916-366-7338