[vox] what java compiler to use?

Rod Roark vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:47:18 -0700

IDE-wise I like Eclipse a lot.  But you still need a JDK.

<rant>

Every time I look at Java licensing I get a headache.  I
never really understood it.  Partly for that reason, but
mostly due to the bugginess of various Java implementations,
I avoid it for my own stuff but do write and maintain Java
apps for clients.  Hell even my cellphone runs Java and is
slow and crash-prone.

I used to like Java, but the hassles that I patiently waited
for solutions to never ended.  The fact is, nobody needs it.
I'm using Perl more now than I ever thought I would... it's
portable, practical, powerful and mature.  And if you want
to write tight/fast/cross-platform GUI apps, there are
plenty of tools out there (wxWindows, Qt, ...).  Oh and PHP
rocks for web stuff.

</rant>

remote system administration services.