[vox] Tools for disabled

Mark K. Kim vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:36:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, karthikeyan.balasubramanian wrote:

[snip]
> Hey i tried to dowload festival just got struck up with requirement doc
>
> http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/manual/festival_6.html#SEC13
>
> <snip>
> festlex_NAME.tar.gz
> festvox_NAME.tar.gz
> </snip>
>
> here i see a lot of them
>
> http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/festival/cstr/festival/1.4.3/
>
> which one should i download.
[snip]

I'm not sure which one you should download.  It's been a while since I
worked with Festival.

But as I recall, they have different voice libraries in case you want
different voices (british, american, male, female, 8kbps quality, 16kbps
quality, etc.) so the festvox* files are probabaly for that.  In that
case, it shouldn't matter which one you grab as long as you got one.

I'm not sure what festlex is either, but I'm guessing they're different
databases for translating text to speech (for example, "gh" is silent in
"fight", so you need a database with the word "fight" that knows "gh" is
silent.)

Good luck!  And thank you for the information on JAWS!

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/