[vox] Re: pdflatex vs. something else (was on vox-tech: compiling tutorial

Mark K. Kim vox@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 16:19:02 -0700 (PDT)

I also use pdflatex, with a Makefile.  That way one `make` does .dvi, .ps,
and .pdf all in one.  pdflatex's quality over dvi2pdf is too good to not
use.  I've also looked at dvipdfm, too, and its featureset looks good (it
supports links and colors, as I recall), but I never got it to work
(couldn't even get it to install) way back when I was still using RedHat.
But I use Debian now so maybe I should give it another try :)

Picture format is definitely an issue.  Been there.  Some formats prefer
eps, some jpeg.  Fortunately I don't have to use pictures too often.
Makefiles are also quite useful with converting picture formats,
thankfully.

-Mark