[vox] Anyone have a spare Pentium II or thereabouts?

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:18:08 -0800

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 01:50:14PM -0800, Marc Elliot Hall wrote:
<snip>
> I'm kidding! Really! I actually have a spare PII-vintage machine I'd be
> happy to donate to the cause of somebody else's foot-traffic-related profit.

Heheh - You almost sound sarcastic there, Marc :^)
It's for a good cause!  Free internet for everyone!

Chamonix is nice because they don't say "you MUST drink coffee to use
internet" like they apparently do at Mishka's downtown.

I also frequently sit down, boot up my laptop, and THEN order a drink.
Not allowed at Mishka's :^)

Anyway, I was just talking with the owner about all this, and then two
people walked in, looked around, and walked out.

Then the younger girl walked back in and said "sorry, we were looking for
Internet access... we thought you had a computer." :^)

The girl was from Arizona, and thinking of coming to school at UC Davis,
and wanted to look up some info on the web.  I of course pointed her to
both Co-Op and Newsbeat.  But at this point, the owner of the coffee shop
is like: "Yeah, I'm sold.  We need a computer" :^) :^)

> Yes, it has been booted into both Debian and Mandrake to confirm hardware
> compatibility. And, of course, you'd get to keep the below-referenced coffee
> card :^) I should note, however, that I *don't* have a spare monitor,
> keyboard, or mouse to contribute. Sorry :^(

Very excellent.  She's got a monitor.  Keyboards and mice are cheap
(compared to computers and monitors :^) )

<snip>
> You know how to reach me for pick-up/drop-off infos.

I was hoping to visit some old co-workers in Sacramento in early January.
Perhaps we could meet mid-way? :)

-bill!