[vox] Knoppix business-card CDs

Rob Rogers vox@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 18:00:52 +0000

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 18:03:28PM +0100, Peter Peltzner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just saw your posting at <
> http://lists.lugod.org/pipermail/vox/2003-June/000792.html > about you
> getting serveral Knoppix business-card CDs. Do you have an idea where I
> can find images for such CDs or even an address where I could order some
> Knoppix business-card CDs?
>
> I have a business-card potatoe CD but Knoppix would be much more
> comfortable for system rescuing, of course.

Knoppix doesn't seem to have a smaller version anymore. That link you
found was referencing their 2.1 version, and they're up to 3.3 now.
There are a number of other small linux bootable distros out there
though. Here's the few I know of.

LNX-BBC (Linux Bootable Business Card)
Probably the best know business card CD. This one is a fork of the
project started at Linuxcare (forked by one of the original developers
after leaving Linuxcare) The original Linuxcare version was handed out
by the thousands at tradeshows.
http://www.lnx-bbc.org/

Stresslinux
Contains mostly utilities for stress testing hardware (stress, CPUBurn,
hddtemp, x86info, memtest86, etc.)
http://www.stresslinux.org/

Damn Small Linux
Based off of Knoppix, but comes in at 50MB while still being a mostly
functional gui desktop.
http://damnsmalllinux.org/

INSERT (Inside Security Rescue Toolkit)
Similar to Damn Small Linux. Also includes a full gui desktop.
http://www.inside-security.de/insert_en.html

L.A.S. Linux (Local Area Security)
Not actually a business card size distro, this one comes in at 185MB,
(as opposed to 50MB for business card CDs) which will fit on a 3 inch
mini-CD.

I also know Knoppix and Morphix are very customizeable. The Morphix
light gui iso comes in at around 205MB, and shouldn't be too tough to
shave 20MB off of that.