[vox] [fwd] How to Misunderstand Open Source Software Development

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:31:08 -0800

----- Forwarded message from Jeremy Hogan <jhogan@redhat.com> -----

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:27:55 -0500
From: Jeremy Hogan <jhogan@redhat.com>
Subject: [OS:N:] How to Misunderstand Open Source Software Development
To: open-source-now-list@redhat.com

How to Misunderstand Open Source Software Development by Tom Adelstein

"How does one explain a "bad rap", especially one that isn't deserved?
Open Source Software development suffers from widespread
misunderstandings in the media from myths, false claims and
disinformation. As a commercial software program and development
manager, I view Open Source Software methods as simply a way to build
applications. It happens to be the most efficient one.

Companies spread falsehoods about Open Source methods of development out
of fear that it threatens their revenue stream. I saw this first hand in
a Senate committee meeting when a member of the BSA testified against a
Bill I supported. Others simply conjure up images of wild-eyed hackers
breaking into computer systems and writing bugs. Simply put, anyone
under that impression suffers from hysterical propaganda.

"I learned my stock and trade when we wore expensive suits and polished
our lace-up shoes. Anyone who has seen my computer labs knows that we
manage them professionally, securely and properly. We also deploy Open
Source and Standards-based methodology. We put out quality products and
do so using quality management and continuous improvement. None of this
should seem strange to professional business people.

This article intends to clear up some misconceptions and can help people
transition from a closed development environment into an open one that
shortens time to market while cutting costs. I would like you to walk
away from reading this article with the notion that Open Source Software
bears a mark of professionalism..."

(more)
http://www.consultingtimes.com/ossdev.html