[vox] Open Source modelling tools

Edward Elliott vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:31:42 -0800

Veena, I was also looking at Open Source Modelling and dev tools.
Here's some information from my search.

http://www.databaseanswers.com/modelling_tools.htm has a good list
of data modelling. The products from TheKompany.com seem very
interesting, but I haven't worked with any of these.

The Eclipse open source extensible IDE donated by IBM -
http://www.eclipse.org/  I think you'll find a lot of
supporting products for Eclipse.

Some of these products run in the Linux space but are
commercial and not open source, others are open source but
are not free. For example, Delphi Studio from Borland
 http://www.borland.com/delphi/index.html  is a multi-platform
IDE that supports Linux and has a strong set of design tools,
but its a commercial product that runs on Windows for the
developer.

There's also the Protege open source model editor
 http://protege.stanford.edu/

And here's a paper from MIT looking at open source development in
the NetBeans project. http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/jensenscacchi.pdf
it's verbose but has some interesting nuggets. And that site has a great
link page, such as a link http://opensource.ucc.ie/ for
Open Source Software Engineering.

I also think reading the dev section of the OSAF Chandler project
is a great example of an open source projects with open specs.
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Main/ChandlerDeveloperDocumentation