[vox] KDE and Gnome wars...

R. Douglas Barbieri vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:46:30 -0800

--=-23UJPB3l7g/4HRFwJ64f

Hey all,

I've been using Linux now as my chief desktop for almost a whole year
now (since I've been laid off, I haven't had to use a Windows desktop
regularly).  My desktop of choice is KDE, but I pick and choose other
applications over the stock KDE apps.  For example, I don't use Koffice
or Kmail, preferring to use OpenOffice and Evolution in their stead,
respectively.  Likewise, I prefer Galeon over Konqueror (or Mozilla, for
that matter).  However, I do like Konqueror as a file manager.

Aside from the bloat of KDE, my biggest complaint is the fact that KDE
and Gnome apps themes[*] are configured from two different "control
panels", plus OpenOffice and Mozilla have their own theme management.
Okay, so this is obviously not news worthy of submission to slashdot.
:-)

Does anyone know if there is a OSS project out there which is attempting
to address this issue? In other words, bring the management issues into
a single application?  What would even work is if there is a project to
redo Open Office's widgets to be Gnome-gtk or KDE.  Kinda like the
relationship between Galeon and Mozilla.

If this OSS project does not yet exist, are there folks out there that
might be interested in working to start one?

[*] By themes and theme management, I mean default color, fonts and icon
shapes, window decorations, etc.

Doug

PS: I did discover IceWM as a means to circumvent the bloat of KDE or
even Gnome 2, but it would be nice to have a common place where stuff
gets configured. Ooo, a project to convert IceWM to use GTK
themes--would that be throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

--=20
R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net
http://www.dooglio.net