[vox] Tivo question

Rob Rogers vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 23:47:34 -0600 (CST)

> On Monday 08 December 2003 11:33 am, Dave Margolis wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>> >    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/10/02/TiVoHacks.html
>>
>> This is a really good article.  I think I'm being told (by the same
>> author
>> of the book I'm reading) to nab an original series 1 Tivo, do the
>> network
>> add-on hack, pop in an extra hard-drive, and get to work.
>
> Why bother? You can get a slim PC with cheap, commodity components, a TV
> tuner, a graphics card with video out, install Freevo or MythTV with
MPlayer,
> Xine or your favorate DVD-capable video software, use XMLTV, and voila,
> you've got your total Linux multimedia hub where you can rip DVD's to your
> personal libraries, record TV shows, burn whatever you want to Video CD,
DVD,
> or whatever format you choose, and without any stupid DRM or pay-for-play
> service restrictions.

If you've got the time to do it, I definitely recomend going the MythTV
route. In addition to doing most of the functions of a Tivo (It doesn't
have the recomendations, but almost everything else) there's quite a few
addon modules:

MythDVD - DVD player/ripper frontend
MythGallery - Image gallery/slideshows
MythGame - Frontend to xmame/snes/nes/etc emulators
MythMusic - Music jukebox with visualizations
MythNews - RSS news feeds
MythVideo - video frontend (for your "not recorded from tv" videos)
MythWeather - weather forcast for your Zip code
MythWeb - PHP based web interface (to schedule programs to record, delete
recorded shows...and do almost anything else you could from the TV
interface)

Oh yeah, and then there's MythTivo "A GUI Front End to allow selection of
Now Showing Items from any IP connected TiVo" for those of you who already
have hacked series 1 tivo.

Oh, and I forgot to mention in my previous email about the PVR 250 that
there's now support for the PVR 350 in MythTV ($199 retail, didn't find it
on newegg.com) that in addition to the hardware MPEG2 encoder it has a
hardware MPEG2 decoder with TV-Out.

> By the way, No Starch Press is actively looking for a book on the subject
> :@)

Hmm... What exactly are you looking for? I've never considered myself the
greatest writer, but I think it'd be interesting.