[vox] Tivo question

Mark K. Kim vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 14:44:35 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Dave Margolis wrote:

> The question is: new series 2 or series 1 purchase from eBay (or
> somewhere else)?  Has somebody already figured out the video
> extraction on series 2 Tivos since the book was published?  Am I just as
> well off with a series 1?  Will the software upgrades from Tivo continue to
> support the series 1 for the forseeable future?
>
> If I do go the series 1 route, any recommendations on a specific model?

If you're interested in a suped-up Tivo, get series 1.  Go to ebay and
look for something already upgraded with NIC and bigger hard drive.

Series 2 has too much protection to be worth suping it up.  The level of
protection in series 2 is the epitome of what a consumer-level encrypted
system should be.  I tip my hat off to the Tivo engineers.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius