[vox] Tivo question

Rob Rogers vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 23:28:53 -0600 (CST)

>> b) what are some of the services you lose when you use a tivo without
>> the tivo service?
>
> Without the TIVO service, you have a tape-less VCR.  You have to manually
> tell it "record channel 24, at 8pm to 9pm, every Wednesday for 6 weeks."
> (Going off of assumptions here -- I don't have a machine yet)
>
> With the service, you say "Record Battlestar Galactica Miniseries".  The
> machine will know what channel and what times to record, and set it up for
> you.

Check out http://www.tivocanada.com/index.php

It explains how to set up your Tivo if you're out of the US (because they
don't provide program data for Canada) with both Windows and Linux
instructions. The main thing is getting XMLTV set up on there. That's the
same program the MythTV project uses for their TV listings (and I assume
others do too). I don't have a Tivo, so I can't help beyond that, but I
assume this is for series 1 units only...