[vox] providing services from a broadband connection

Rob Rogers vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 16:37:07 -0600 (CST)

> First let me thank everybody who responsed.  It sounds like everybody is
> happy with their DSL, and I do like the sound of a static IP.  I have a
> buddy who does DNS hosting for mean he doesn't mind updating my records
> when I
> need them to be, but it's annoying because I rarely notice the IP change
> right away.
>
> I also forgot to mention that I get free cable TV (SHH!), about a $35 per
> month value for basic cable, through a fluke that happened when Comcast
> took over AT&T Broadband. I don't think I'll give up on Comcast
> until they figure that one out (they do have ads on TV threatening
> to _check service levels in your area_). Getting Comedy Central and those
> types of channels without paying for them is kind of an incentive to put
> up with the dynamic IP and some of the other Comcast silliness.

I've got a similar situation with Cable TV here with Comcast...

As far as dynamic IP's, I used to have my gateway/firewall box set up to
re-request the same IP it had last time when it booted up (I believe the
switch to dhcpcd was -s $ip) but during a reinstall once, I typed in the
address without thinking, accidentally making it static, and haven't had a
problem since. DHCP isn't even installed on that box anymore, and I
haven't had a problem in the year it's been that way (and have had the
same IP for over 2 years now)

> I'm really waiting until Surewest finishes
> digging in my neighborhood (does anybody have any experience with these
> guys?).  They promise 10Mbps both ways (which I don't get - that's pretty
> darn fast, especially for upload) and good digital TV for a really good
> price: $49.95 for internet by itself and they have package deals if you
> want to add TV and/or phone.  Again, I have no way to verify how reliable
> they are, but a buddy says he's had no problems.

I know someone who had it back when it was still WinFirst, and he loved
it. $99/month got him net, TV and phone. I just wish they had a new
availability map. 10Mbps service could definitely be a factor in my
decision of where to move. (The last map I sawwas about a year old back in
July, and now they only offer a per zip code lookup, telling you whether
service is "likely" or not.)