[vox] providing services from a broadband connection

David Margolis vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:00:18 -0800 (PST)

First let me thank everybody who responsed.  It sounds like everybody is
happy with their DSL, and I do like the sound of a static IP.  I have a
buddy who does DNS hosting for mean he doesn't mind updating my records when I
need them to be, but it's annoying because I rarely notice the IP change
right away.

I also forgot to mention that I get free cable TV (SHH!), about a $35 per
month value for basic cable, through a fluke that happened when Comcast
took over AT&T Broadband. I don't think I'll give up on Comcast
until they figure that one out (they do have ads on TV threatening
to _check service levels in your area_). Getting Comedy Central and those
types of channels without paying for them is kind of an incentive to put
up with the dynamic IP and some of the other Comcast silliness.

I'm really waiting until Surewest finishes
digging in my neighborhood (does anybody have any experience with these
guys?).  They promise 10Mbps both ways (which I don't get - that's pretty
darn fast, especially for upload) and good digital TV for a really good
price: $49.95 for internet by itself and they have package deals if you
want to add TV and/or phone.  Again, I have no way to verify how reliable
they are, but a buddy says he's had no problems.

Thanks again,
Dave