[vox] Register.com: Notice of Class Action Settlement and Hearing

Marc Elliot Hall vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:03:38 -0700

R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:
> Are there any other Register.com customers out there, and if so, did you
> get this?

I also received this email. It caused me to ask two questions:

1. What legal organization in its right mind would think that sending an
email as notification of a class action settlement to net-savvy (read:
spam-deluged) people is going to result in a significant response rate?

2. Aren't there specific legal requirements for publication of legal
notices when the recipients' physical addresses are (presumably)
available through regular channels (e.g., whois lookup or simple
discovery process of requesting defendant's records)?

In short, I haven't opened or read the .pdf attachment, even though, as
a Register.com customer, I theoretically could benefit from a settlement
of whatever grievances (looks like a standard dot-com friends-and-family
stock preference deal to me) are alleged.

You've obviously done more homework than I. Thanks for the links!

--
Marc Elliot Hall           www.hallmarc.net/quick_resume.html
P.O. Box 435