[vox] [fwd] ftp.gnu.org compromised

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:11:13 -0700

----- Forwarded message from Kevin Cole <kjcole@gri.gallaudet.edu> -----

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:05:41 -0400
From: Kevin Cole <kjcole@gri.gallaudet.edu>
Subject: [OS:N:] ftp.gnu.org compromised

This seemed important enough to spread around.

Source:  http://ftp.gnu.org/MISSING-FILES.README
Created: 13-Aug-2003 15:11

<quote>
                                 Summary

   * gnuftp, the FTP server for the GNU project was root compromised.

   * After substantial investigation, we don't believe that any GNU
     source has been compromised.

   * To be extra-careful, we are verifying known, trusted secure
     checksums of all files before putting them back on the FTP site.

</quote>

If you download gnu source tools, it would be wise to see if the second
statement changes.

--
 Kevin Cole                    |  Key ID: 0xE6F332C7
 Gallaudet University          |     WWW: http://gri.gallaudet.edu/~kjcole/

----- End forwarded message -----