[vox] [OT] Paypal (was E-commerce/Credit Card...)

Matt vox@lists.lugod.org
09 Apr 2003 22:23:34 -0700

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 22:12, Ken Herron wrote:
> --On Wednesday, April 09, 2003 08:47:19 PM -0700 Charles McLaughlin
> <cmclaughlin@ucdavis.edu> wrote:
>
> > I recently designed a website for a non-profit organization that would
> > like to accept donations online.  I've found that credit card processing
> > services are expensive -- the cheapest I've found is ~$20/month.  This
> > isn't feasible for the organization I'm working with.  Now I'm thinking
> > of using PayPal, since there is no monthly fee.
>
> This isn't a direct answer to your question, but I suggest you think hard
> about signing up with paypal:
>
> "eBay bends over backwards to hand users' personal info to police"
> <http://www.politechbot.com/p-04485.html>
> (Paypal is owned by eBay)
>
> "Anti-abortion activist complains Paypal seized his account"
> <http://www.politechbot.com/p-04524.html>
>
> "Paypal deletes account of independent news site, gives no reason"
> <http://www.politechbot.com/p-04548.html>
>
> "Politech members reply over Paypal deleting news site account"
> <http://www.politechbot.com/p-04552.html>
>
> One of these mentions Affero, <http://www.affero.com/>. I don't know
> anything about them other than what's on their home page, but you might
> check them out.

Oh not to mention chargebacks; if you deliver anything over the
electronic medium for a sale and that account was hacked and the
original owner says it was accessed without consent expect PayPal to
charge the seller for the amount lost...

PayPal is fine if you have no issues, have any and you're usually the
one paying the cost, not PayPal.

Matt