[vox] [OT] renters question - 'snooping' landlord

Michael Wenk vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 14:40:19 -0700

On Monday 07 April 2003 02:16 pm, Chris Brick wrote:
> > is anyone familiar on what the law says about this?  is he allowed to go
> > into our backyard unannounced?   on our roof?   in our front yard?
>
> Last time I looked into this the landlord has to give 24 hours notice
> before entering the property, regardless of reason.  I seem to remember a
> google search for california landlord/tenant law brought up some
> interesting links.  This was some years ago so laws may have changed.

I'm MUCH more familiar with Ohio law on this.  I did just do a websearch and
from what I see, notice is required to enter the dwelling unit.  The law
pertains to privacy, and as such, I would think that if the area your in has
a reasonable expectation of privacy, then notice should be required.  If its
not(ie visible from the street, etc), then notice is probably not required.

here's a link to UCB(it appears generic to CA)'s thingy on rental law:

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~asucrla/privacy.shtml

mike