[vox-tech] Need Partitioning Advice

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Thu Oct 5 21:09:14 PDT 2017

I'm thinking about getting a new laptop for myself and a new desktop for
my wife.  I know that for these computers I definitely want a separate
partition for /home.

I notice that on my present Linux machines that I have a separate
partition for /tmp.  And of course there are separate partitions for /
and swap.  That's all the separate partitions I have.

How important is it to have a separate partition for /tmp?  I've got 2G
on the desktop I'm using right now.  The partition for / is 15G.  I
vaguely recall a discussion here years ago and people saying that /tmp
is on a separate partition to prevent / from being crowded.  Does it
make sense to have a 2G /tmp?  Does it make any difference if one does
not have a separate partition for /tmp but instead adds 2G to /?

Thanks for you help.

Bob