[vox-tech] UC Davis VPN using openconnect

Bill Broadley bill at broadley.org
Fri Dec 16 15:27:42 PST 2016

> I hit the same error yesterday. Bill said the Library broke it somehow.
> The 'Official' Pulse client is working on Linux. And someone I chatted
> with yesterday had an interested SSH port forwarding method of VPN, if
> you have access to a server on campus.

The first time I tried it, I stopped by the openconnect irc channel and worked
with (I think) the primary dev.  We tracked it down to a SSL problem, which I
could even confirm with a browser.

I reported that to the library, and they tweaked the SSL cert (it wasn't
properly signed).

I lobbied for them to support openconnect since it was compatible, a signed
binary, 64 bit, and open source.  The pulse client seems like some orphaned
juniper project that some 3rd party is trying to make some money off of.  They
haven't even recompiled for 64 bit since.  What's worse is that the binary
includes an old SSL library with known exploits, turns out that you need a
fairly new openssl library which actually emulates the broken behavior, but
doesn't allow the exploit.

Kinda sad that campus is standardizing on an orphaned insecure unsigned binary
for such a critical piece of security infrastructure.

In any case the #openconnect folks were really helpful, if you want to try to
get it working again I suggest trying there.