[vox-tech] Seeking recommendation: USB or low-profile PCI WiFi adapter

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sun Apr 24 14:08:09 PDT 2016

John loaned me both of these devices, and both worked fine.
Since the tiny USB one makes the most sense for my situation
(little kids using the computer) and seemed to work w/o issue,
I went ahead and grabbed it. (The Edimax:
http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un-150Mbps-Raspberry-Supports/dp/B003MTTJOY)

Thanks John, and to everyone else who helped out,

-bill!

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 08:54:44PM -0700, John Reed wrote:
> I've never had noticeable issues with USB WiFi on Ubuntu.  I use a cheapie
> Edimax just fine.  Can't go wrong for the price($9).  Signal strength
> *might* be an issue since it's so small.  The small size is what makes it a
> useful tool to have around the house.
>
> I also have a Rosewill with dual antennas if you want to test it out.  I
> can lend both of them to you.
>
> Ubuntu 16 comes out in two days, btw.
>
> John
>
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 8:28 PM, Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> wrote:
>

> > We received a second-hand desktop PC (I know, right!?) that
> > we've set up for my older son to use.  We recently moved it
> > far, far away from our home office, and I don't want to even
> > contemplate wiring up Ethernet across the house for it.
> >
> > It's a Small Form Factor (SFF) Dell Optiplex 745, and IIRC has one
> > low-profile PCI Express slot available right now.
> > (Specs for the thing are here, if you're curious:
> >
> > https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_745techspecs.pdf
> > )
> >
> > But, it also has a bunch of unused USB ports, too.
> > Now, I've heard that USB WiFi on Linux is: "do not want",
> > because the drivers are crap, but it also seems like the
> > easiest plug-and-play solution, if it'd work.
> >
> > So I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for
> > Linux-friendly (*Ubuntu) WiFi devices in either of
> > these form-factors... (low-profile PCI, or USB)?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >

> > --
> > -bill!
> > Sent from my computer