[vox-tech] Wi-fi issue

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Apr 17 15:44:57 PDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 08:40:34AM -0700, Chris Jenks wrote:
<snip>
> [...] what I see
> on the airwaves is that almost everybody assumes that bandwidth has to be
> "owned". As long as we are so into ownership for its own sake - which I
> think is the main motivation for password-locking wifi - we may as well go
> back to proprietary software too, make this a pugod list.

Doing things that will prevent a bad guy from breaking into anything
from my email, to my Facebook profile, to my credit union account or
other financial services, just seems like common sense.
Sorry, but as a co-founder of this club, I took a little bit of offense to
the statement above.

One of the benefits of open source is transparency in how things work,
how to secure things for your own safety & privacy, and how to help
others do the same.

We have a long history of doing just that here at LUGOD.
Some past LUGOD talks on various security/networking subjects
(and notice also that a majority were presented by club members,
rather than representatives of orgs or companies):

  2014-11-17
  GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG)
  Adam Reiser

  2014-10-20
  Web Application Hacking: How to Make and Break Security on the Web
  Wesley Aptekar-Cassels

  2014-07-21
  Defensive computing: Information security for individuals
  Adam Reiser

  2010-06-21
  Algorithms to do Network Intrusion Detection, and integration into nProbe
  Brian Lavender

  2008-06-16
  OpenSSL
  Brian Lavender

  2008-03-17
  The Open Source Security Information Management (OSSIM) project
  Brian Lavender

  2007-08-20
  Improving Security through Virtualization
  Bill Broadley

  2005-01-17
  Open Vote Foundation; and 'How not to do Electronic Voting'
  Scott Ritchie, Open Vote Foundation & Jim March, BlackBoxVoting.org

  2004-06-01
  WiFiLi: Hardware to Software, Security to Intrusion
  Hans Uhlig

  2004-02-16
  SSL: Secure Socket Layer
  Tim Stapko and Gene Fodor, Z-World (Davis)

  2003-02-17
  802.11b Wireless Networking Basics
  Ryan Castelluci

  2001-02-06
  Trust and Security
  Dr. Matt Bishop, UC Davis

  2000-05-02
  OpenSSH, International Kernel, Stegenographic Filesystems
  Henry House

  2000-04-17
  PGP: Pretty Good Privacy
  Drew Parsons