[vox-tech] Wi-fi issue

Mark's tech help markindavis at hush.com
Thu Apr 9 21:07:41 PDT 2015

Just to branch off possibly even further OT--  I spotted yet another alternative mapping of the acronym "AP" while perusing an article I'd saved (off techdirt, or maybe some Tweeters I'd followed, perhaps) for offline reading.. sure enough, in the links included at the bottom was:

	"2005 - Planet of the APs: are corporations and other artificial persons taking over the legal system? "
			http://law.buffalo.edu/news/mitchell/2005.html

That being a lecture title from earlier in a series about which I was perusing the blurb for a new one:
	"2015 - Who Rules Big Data? Law, Knowledge, and Power - SUNY Buffalo Law School"

 (Local flavor--  a UCD prof. is among those listed as speakers, and on an interesting topic, no less.)

And to add to the intriguing problem the guy (who could easily be an identity phisher or Micro$oft bot testing attitudes amongst competing coders (this list!)) put to us, here's what I thought of soon after sending my last reply:
Bring a laptop with a nice solid Linux on-scene, having tools such as Kismet and Wireshark ready to go.  Analyze what's going thru the airwaves, thus able to determine whether some neighbour is spoofing your AP name and/or mac address, and whether your Winblows is really connecting over WPA sans password, impossibly.  Another weird thought--  I've been somewhat surprised upon opening up BIOS settings on recent laptops which I've acquired to find that they can have 3G cellphone hw inside.  Doing a big hit to some-or-other dataplan whilst downloading never-ending windoze updates?  Seems doubtful, actually.

-- Mark
https://twitter.com/linuxusergroup

--
Shell programming is a 1950's jukebox - great if it has your song already.  --Larry Wall