[vox-tech] How many people run their own mail server?

Bill Broadley bill at broadley.org
Wed Oct 16 21:57:00 PDT 2013

On 10/15/2013 11:52 PM, Brian E. Lavender wrote:
> I am curious how many people run their own mail server these days?

Heh, add me to the list.  It's become SO much easier.  I used to have to
compile/configure many apps to get things working well.

Now a ubuntu install with:
apt-get install dovecot-postfix

Gets you much of the way there.

So for me the ease of running a mail server has increased so quickly
that it's easily justified for me to continue running a mail server.

My favorite perks:
* server side sieve for filtering, forwarding, and white listing
* easily having an email address that only white listed folks
   can send to.
* access to mail logs (send and receive)
* DKIM signed email (like this one)
* Grey listing (great for spam).
* Helo filtering (great for spam).
* NEVER getting a paypal.com/ebay.com phishing attempt.
* Running spam assassin before accepting an email.
* ability to create new addresses on a whim.
* ability to create new mailing lists on a whim

Assuming you run a DNS server you get additional benefits like SSHFP
records, DNSSEC, and of course the ability to repoint your email.

> It seems like most have taken to Gmail.

It's good enough that many have gone that way.  I keep hoping that
someone will bring out a email replacement that:
* Is completely distributed
* Defaults to encrypting all email
* Is anonymous (unless you choose not to).
* Doesn't depend on DNS

The closest I've found is bitmessage.