[vox-tech] How many people run their own mail server?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Oct 16 16:58:10 PDT 2013

On 10/16/2013 03:07 PM, Troy Arnold wrote:
> What I think is most interesting about this discussion are the MUAs for the
> people that have participated so far.
>
> mutt: 5
> pine: 1
> claws: 1
> Mozilla Thunderbird: 1
>
> It oddly pleases me to not see 'Outlook' in that list ;-)
>
> I do run my own mail also. postfix on a VPS at iocoop.org
> I'm with Rick - access to MTA logs is not optional.
>
> -t

I'm not terribly surprised, the people likely to use outlook are on
Exchange servers.

I had though about rolling my own mail service, and I do host my own
website from home (dynamic ip forwarding). But decided I'd rather
outsource my email so that it's working even if my network is down, or
power at my house it out etc. Then my DNS registrar offered decent imap
service for my domain pre-configured, so it was way easier.

With IMAP and thunderbird I don't need all the spam/filtering server
side, I just using the built in learning filters of thunderbird itself
and whatever any of my mail providers add to that (since I do have gmail
accounts too).

Thanks,
Alex