[vox-tech] How many people run their own mail server?

Marc Elliot Hall marc at hallmarc.net
Wed Oct 16 07:05:54 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 11:52:25PM -0700, Brian E. Lavender wrote:
> I am curious how many people run their own mail server these days?
>
> It seems like most have taken to Gmail.
>
> brian

I'm one of the old-school holdouts, I guess: still running my own public-facing servers at home.

Specs on my primary:

	Debian Stable on a physical two-socket, two-core-per-socket Xeon platform
	Postfix
	Spamassassin
	Dovecot
	Apache HTTPD

Static IP and so forth on business-class cable.

Over more than ten years I've managed to avoid significant unscheduled downtime (even through moves from California, to Missouri, and back to Nevada) by keeping everything on UPSes -- with one three-day exception when an ice storm took out power to half of Saint Louis. Now I have a backup VPS on warm standby in case that happens here in Vegas. Further back, I had a *lot* of growing pains, though.

--
Marc Elliot Hall
www.hallmarc.net