[vox-tech] Cannot install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7

Thomas Johnston trjohnston at ucdavis.edu
Fri Nov 8 09:19:04 PST 2013

I recently started a thread asking about partition schemes:
http://lists.lugod.org/pipermail/vox-tech/2013-November/016793.html

After reading the numerous helpful comments, I decided to keep it simple
and go with an NFTS partition for Win7, and an extended partition that
contained partitions for / and /home (both in ext4 format).
Great. I used GParted to format the drive and create the partitions and
then installed Windows 7 and all the updates without a problem. Windows 7
is as happy as a pig in mud.

I then created a live USB of Ubuntu 13.10 with the UNetbootin tool (in
Windows). I boot from the live USB and select the option to "Install". When
I get to the "Installation type" page, I see options for:
(a) Erase disk and install Ubuntu
    (i) Encrypt the new Ubuntu installation for security
    (ii) Use LVM with the new Ubuntu installation
(b) Something else

No option to install alongside Windows.

Clicking on "Something Else" would allow me to create a new partition
table, but it does not "see" the partitions that already exist.

A Google search reveals that this installation dilemma is common. Some of
the problems were due to users having more than 4 primary partitions. That
is certainly not the case here.  I have also seen posts about the disk
system being "dynamic" and that causes problems with the Ubuntu installer.
Also not the case:

Current partition table (according to Windows disk management tool):
C: 150 GB, Layout = simple, File System = NTFS, Status = Healthy (System,
Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition), Free Space =
108.57 GB, Fault Tolerance = No, Overhead = 0%
315.76 GB unallocated

Other posts discuss UEFI BIOS, BIOS options such as Secure Boot and
FastBoot. I cannot figure out if any of these would apply to me or not.In
Windows 7,dxdiag (direct X diagnostic tool) tells me:
System Model: Dell System XPS 15z
BIOS: Default System BIOS

BIOS settings:
Intel Speedstep = enabled
Virtualization = enabled
Integrated NIC = enabled
USB emulation = enabled
USB powershare = enabled
USB wake support = disabled
SATA operation = AHCI (other option is ATA)
Adapter warnings = enabled
Function Key Behavior = Function Key
Charger Behavior = enabled
battery health = performing normally
miscellaneous devices:
    external USB ports = enabled
    eSATA ports = enabled

Interesting thing about the boot order:
if I have the hard drive before the USB storage device, I cannot fully boot
into the live USB. I will see an initial splash screen that is most black
with two small icons on the bottom center that resemble a keyboard = stick
man surrounded by a circle. The system will then "hang" with a blank screen
and the fans going at about 50%. Disabling Intel Speedstep in the bios also
seems hang the live USB.

Motherboard Board:
Dell Inc.
Product: 00WW5M
Version: A00
Serial Number: .3SJSQS1.CN4864322A0095.
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Inc. A12 09/07/2012
example for sale on ebay: http://bit.ly/1gwcdX9

Hard drive:
Seagate Momentus: ST500LX003-1AC15G (500.11 GB) --
drive 0, s/n W2003D1H, rev DEM3
This is a hybrid drive.

Any ideas?