[vox-tech] recommended partition scheme for a dual boot windows 7/ubuntu machine?

Thomas Johnston trjohnston at ucdavis.edu
Sun Nov 3 15:04:44 PST 2013

I need to do a clean reinstall of both Windows and Linux and was wondering
if the following partition scheme makes sense.

/dev/sda1    ntfs          150  GB  (for Win) (obviously a primary
partition)
/dev/sda2    ext2             1   GB      /boot
/dev/sda3    extended   314 GB
   /dev/sda5 ext4             35 GB      /root
   /dev/sda6 ext4           267 GB      /home
   /dev/sda7 swap            12 GB     /swap

I did a lot of searching of forums and there seems to be a difference of
opinion (or perhaps an evolution of opinions) on the wisdom/necessity of
both the /boot and /swap partitions.

If hardware influences the decision at all, I have a Dell XPS15z (511z). It
has a 8GB of RAM, a 500GB SATA/SSD hybrid hard drive, the NVIDIA GeForce GT
525M graphics card, and the Core i7-2640M CPU.

The two issues I was trying to get a concrete answer on is: (1) is it
really beneficially to have a separate boot partition and (2) is it wise to
use a swap partition with a SSD?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas