[vox-tech] recommended partition scheme for a dual boot windows 7/ubuntu machine?

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Mon Nov 4 06:37:36 PST 2013

I try to avoid creating a partition without a good reason.  Modern distributions for example don't need a separate /boot.

Generally I lay it out something like this:

  Windows partition, if desired
  Root partition, around 10-20 GB
  Spare root partition (reserved for upgrades, same size as above)
  Swap
  /tmp partition (optional, I usually don't bother with this)
  /work partition containing remaining drive space

The idea is that things specific to the distribution go into root and things that should survive a distribution upgrade/change go into /work.  Use symbolic links in home directories and elsewhere as appropriate to get at stuff under /work.

Rod