[vox-tech] recommended partition scheme for a dual boot windows 7/ubuntu machine?

Vincenzo Ampolo vincenzo.ampolo at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 15:26:51 PST 2013

On 11/03/2013 03:04 PM, Thomas Johnston wrote:
> The two issues I was trying to get a concrete answer on is: (1) is it
> really beneficially to have a separate boot partition and (2) is it wise
> to use a swap partition with a SSD?

Your questions are legit and I don't think there is a unique answer IMHO.

Even tho I find odd to have a separate /boot partition, it makes
stranger to me to see it as an ext2 partition that doesn't have
journaling and it's too phrone to corruption due to power loss.

About /root it really depends which distro you are going to use, if you
use ubuntu, /root will be unused. Or maybe you wanted to say / ?

I used to separate / and /home but this lead to a problem: what if you
have used all 35gb of / and you want to install another program ? That's
why i stopped separating /home from / such that my /home just takes the
space it needs to. Saying that having a separate /home is better for
updates/formatting may be true, but it's 2 years i don't format anymore :D

About the swap, I took it off but I've a System76 Galago ultrapro with
240gb ssd and 16gb ram. With 16gb of ram, swap is only needed if i want
to hibernate, and hibernate 16gb of ram means having 16gb less on my
240gb hard drive. Things i don't want. I'm better of with a suspend or a
proper shutdown in a full SSD system.

So i ended up with this configuration:

goshawk at earth:~$ df -hT
Filesystem             Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1              btrfs     224G   38G  186G  17% /
none                   tmpfs     4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
udev                   devtmpfs  7.8G  4.0K  7.8G   1% /dev
tmpfs                  tmpfs     1.6G  1.1M  1.6G   1% /run
none                   tmpfs     5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
none                   tmpfs     7.8G   17M  7.8G   1% /run/shm
none                   tmpfs     100M   52K  100M   1% /run/user
/dev/sda1              btrfs     224G   38G  186G  17% /home
/home/goshawk/.Private ecryptfs  224G   38G  186G  17% /home/goshawk
goshawk at earth:~$

Which is, simply a / of 240gb with btrfs. And i use the btrfs ability to
take snapshots if I want to do backups of / or /home.

--
Vincenzo Ampolo
http://vincenzo-ampolo.net