[vox-tech] SDL 2 image

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Aug 31 14:45:13 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:08:38PM -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
> I further discovered that when you download the source tarball that for
> SDL_image 2.0 that it contains a spec file. So, I installed rpmbuild,
> and I built it. Still, I had no success. Somehow, I installed libpng
> version 1.2. I somehow that that it was the latest. But, it turns out
> under Fedora, you just install libpng-devel and it is the latest,
> sans version number. Finally, after installing libpng-devel, I got
> SDL_image 2.0 working.
>
> Yay!

Yeah, when compiling stuff like SDL_image from source, which needs libpng...
or compiling something like Tux Paint from source, which needs SDL_image...
you need to install the -devel packages, too.  The plain package gives you
all of the object files that apps link against.  The -devel package gives
you header files, documentations, and tools (e.g., libSDL comes with
"sdl-config")

-bill!

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 09:12:45PM -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
> > I discovered that rpmbuild can be used to rebuild the rpm from the src
> > rpm. Problem is that the spec file expects the libs in lib rather than
> > lib64....
> >
> > Oh well. It looks like I will hit the tarball and compile that.
> > Perhaps time to figure out how to put together an rpm from scratch...
> >

> > On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 05:29:36PM -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
> > > So how do I build the rpm from the source rpm?
> > >
> > > brian

> > > --
> > > Brian Lavender
> > > http://www.brie.com/brian/
> > >
> > > "There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to
> > > make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other
> > > way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
> > >
> > > Professor C. A. R. Hoare
> > > The 1980 Turing award lecture
> >
> > --
> > Brian Lavender
> > http://www.brie.com/brian/
> >
> > "There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to
> > make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other
> > way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
> >
> > Professor C. A. R. Hoare
> > The 1980 Turing award lecture
>
> --
> Brian Lavender
> http://www.brie.com/brian/
>
> "There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to
> make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other
> way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
>
> Professor C. A. R. Hoare
> The 1980 Turing award lecture

Sent from my computer