[vox-tech] Secure Wiping hard drives

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat May 12 01:58:10 PDT 2012

Quoting Brian Lavender (brian at brie.com):

> I would think that writing zeros to the disk would make the data
> unavailable in many cases and is relatively fast. IIRC, DBAN takes
> multiple passes with pseudorandom data.

> What if the fact that a melted disk leaked information?

Yeah, you go tell LLNL's Security Office that they don't know their
business.  Let us know how that works for you.

> Personally, I would go one step further and use a pseudo random feed
> from AES with Cipher Block Chaining (CBC) and perhaps throw some salt
> in the middle so that it isn't too predictable.

Really, because data are so much better hidden by overengineered
pseudorandom data than by, e.g., 'All work and no play makes Jack a dull
boy' over and over.  Sure, that makes all kinds of sense.  In some
universe.