[vox-tech] Secure Wiping hard drives

Ryan Northrup northrupthebandgeek at gmail.com
Fri May 11 12:56:55 PDT 2012

Repartitioning will do very little; though it certainly makes the files
seem to disappear, data recovery software can still find the individual
ones and zeroes and read them as raw files (no metadata like filenames, but
the data itself is still there).

So yeah, using the dd command or a dedicated utility that actually clears
the data bit-by-bit is your best bet in terms of absolute security.  It'll
take awhile, but it's vastly more reliable and effective.

For added fun you could dd textual data onto a drive (like "nice try,
punk!") by using the dd command and specifying a text file with your
desired message as the input.

Hope that all helps.

- Ryan Northrup