[vox-tech] sata 2

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jan 31 14:00:47 PST 2012

On 01/31/2012 10:34 AM, Shwaine wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2012, jimbo wrote:
>
>> Greetings:
>>
>> I am compiling a list of possible components to build a mini pc.  I want to
>> use a solid state drive that is sata 2.  I am not sure if this is compatible
>> with the ITX board I am interested in.  According to light research sata 2
>> is just a more robust stream and should be compatible with any sata on any
>> motherboard.  Is this a wrong assumption?
>>
>> Bottom line will it work with my desired ITX board?
>>
>> Reference:
>> ITX board of interest:
>> http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-h67-wifi-h67itx-a-e.html
>> Wiki sata reference:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
>>

> Since you are planning to use a SSD, you may want to consider SATA3
> (6.0Gb/s) and one of the faster SSD drives. Some of the better SSDs can
> come pretty close to saturating the SATA2 (3.0 Gb/s) bus. The price
> differential is minor (although some might argue so is the difference in
> saturating SATA2 vs using SATA3). Any Sandy or Ivy Bridge motherboard will
> have at least two SATA3 ports. It's standard in their supporting Intel
> chipsets.
>
> You might also want to keep looking around for another mini ITX
> motherboard. I've had bad luck with Zotac in the past. The NewEgg reviews
> for the newer version of the motherboard you listed (H67ITX-C-E) show that
> I'm not really alone in this (14% 1 egg, 23% 2 eggs). There are some more
> reliable manufacturers that make mini ITX boards for Sandy Bridge (LGA
> 1155). NewEgg lists several alternatives from more reputable companies
> like Asus, Gigabyte, ASRock, and Intel. For example, this ASRock board has
> the same price point, integrated 802.11n, and much better feedback:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157239
>
> Just something to ponder.

I guess that depends on the use case, my file/print/web server Zotac all
in one box (Atom based) has been great and super low power. But I agree
if you're building a desktop or something for intensive use Asus tends
to be my preferred brand, with the other mentioned boards all having
good reputations.

Enjoy,
Alex