[vox-tech] sata 2

Shwaine shwaine at shwaine.com
Tue Jan 31 10:34:50 PST 2012

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012, jimbo wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I am compiling a list of possible components to build a mini pc.  I want to
> use a solid state drive that is sata 2.  I am not sure if this is compatible
> with the ITX board I am interested in.  According to light research sata 2
> is just a more robust stream and should be compatible with any sata on any
> motherboard.  Is this a wrong assumption?
>
> Bottom line will it work with my desired ITX board?
>
> Reference:
> ITX board of interest:
> http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-h67-wifi-h67itx-a-e.html
> Wiki sata reference:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

Since you are planning to use a SSD, you may want to consider SATA3
(6.0Gb/s) and one of the faster SSD drives. Some of the better SSDs can
come pretty close to saturating the SATA2 (3.0 Gb/s) bus. The price
differential is minor (although some might argue so is the difference in
saturating SATA2 vs using SATA3). Any Sandy or Ivy Bridge motherboard will
have at least two SATA3 ports. It's standard in their supporting Intel
chipsets.

You might also want to keep looking around for another mini ITX
motherboard. I've had bad luck with Zotac in the past. The NewEgg reviews
for the newer version of the motherboard you listed (H67ITX-C-E) show that
I'm not really alone in this (14% 1 egg, 23% 2 eggs). There are some more
reliable manufacturers that make mini ITX boards for Sandy Bridge (LGA
1155). NewEgg lists several alternatives from more reputable companies
like Asus, Gigabyte, ASRock, and Intel. For example, this ASRock board has
the same price point, integrated 802.11n, and much better feedback:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157239

Just something to ponder.