[vox-tech] Default directory permissions

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Feb 10 17:22:56 PST 2012

On 02/10/2012 05:17 PM, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> I have a directory on my server which has several people that can write to
> it. Each person has their own username but they all belong to the same
> group. I would like to make sure that every file and directory that is
> created in that directory are group-writable. In other words, if Rita
> (member of group psacln) creates a file or subdirectory, then Ginger (also
> a member of group psacln) should be able to write to it or delete it, and
> vice versa.
>
> I have not been able to figure out how to set this up. Can anyone give me a
> hand? This is probably something very simple that I just haven't been able
> to figure out on my own.

I think you're looking for
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setuid

The other option I'm aware of is to set a umask with group write. I
can't recall if this is done in the mount or if it can be done just on
the directory.

Another option along those lines is to use a package called acl (access
control lists) for fined grained permissions.

Enjoy,
Alex