[vox-tech] init scripts on Debian problems with upgrade

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonet.ca
Fri Apr 6 11:34:23 PDT 2012

On 12-04-06 11:13 AM, Brian Lavender wrote:
> After successfully adding Postfix which purged Exim, I decided to go back
> and see if Exim4 could go back and purge Postfix. I still get the following
> error. I guess I could just leave Postfix, but the curiousity kills me
> to know why or how to get Exim4. I know that Exim 4 has a wizard to create the
> configuration for a box that just needs a mail server for local purposes. Is
> there a way to clear the error that blocks Exim 4?
>
> I used aptitude to select Exim4 which causes Postfix to purge
>
> piA  exim4-base                                                       +1712 k<none>      4.72-6+squ
> piA  exim4-config                                                     +1303 k<none>      4.72-6+squ
> piA  exim4-daemon-light                                               +1065 k<none>      4.72-6+squ
> --\ Packages being deleted due to unsatisfied dependencies (1)
> id   postfix                                                          -3273 k 2.7.1-1+sq 2.7.1-1+sq
> --\ Packages to be installed (1)
> pi   exim4                                                            +61.4 k<none>      4.72-6+squ
>
> No, I hit 'g' to continue and I get the following error.
>
> +
> �E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'exim4'. Please see man 5 apt.conf under        ��
> �   APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)

I think you could have skipped the Postfix step - installing it and then
replacing it, that is.  Have you tried dpkg --configure or
dpkg-reconfigure?

You may need to actually go into the update-exim4.conf.conf file and do
it by hand.

If you've not looked at it, it should be something like this:

dc_eximconfig_configtype='local' (maybe 'smarthost' if you need smtp to
an ISP)
dc_other_hostnames='xxx.xx'
dc_local_interfaces='0.0.0.0'
dc_readhost=''