[vox-tech] errors with installing exim4

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonet.ca
Wed Apr 4 23:13:36 PDT 2012

On 12-04-04 11:01 PM, Brian Lavender wrote:
> I tried to install exim4 on an old system and I got the following errors. Any
> suggestions?
>
> brian
>
> proto:/etc# apt-get intall exim4
> E: Invalid operation intall
> proto:/etc# apt-get install exim4
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
>    exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light
> Suggested packages:
>    eximon4 exim4-doc-html exim4-doc-info spf-tools-perl swaks
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>    exim
>    exim4 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light
> 0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0 B/2030 kB of archives.
> After this operation, 2683 kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
> E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'exim4'. Please see man 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)

The 'Debian Way' for configuring Exim has changed. in the last few
years.  You can use the original single exim4.conf file, or specify the
parameters in /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf.  (You read that right:
.conf.conf - there is a script called update-exim4.conf that you call to
update after changes to the .conf.conf file.)  You have to set
'dc_use_split_config' to false to use your old exim4.conf.  In either
case, update-exim4.confgenerates a file in /var/lib/exim4 called
config.autogenerated.  There are pros and cons to both approaches.  For
my own systems, it made more sense, after trying the new way, to go back
to the old.

As to the warning messages, they showed up when I upgraded one box from
Kubuntu Natty to Oneiric.  I have ignored them without noticing any
problems.

HTH

Cam