[vox-tech] Linux can't play blu-ray??!!??

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Sun Sep 18 09:58:59 PDT 2011

One approach (mine, so far) is to boycott Blu-Ray. However, upon a quick Google I found several pages that claim some level of decryption capability.
DCN:<jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us> Basics: ##.#. ##.#. Live Go...
Live: OO#.. Dead: OO#.. Playing

Darth Borehd <darth.borehd at gmail.com> wrote:

I have been using a Linux media center computer with Ubuntu 10.04 to play hulu and Youtube videos as well as play DVDs for a couple of years now.  I finally upgraded the drive to a blu-ray player and got my first blu-ray disk...

Only to find I can't play it!
Not Totem, VLC, or mplayer will touch it.  I did some searching and the only thing I could find was some wonky workaraound about streaming it with some program called makemkv and then watching stream.  When it works at all, which is not often, it is choppy and has video quality drop outs.  Is there really no other way to watch blu-ray discs on Linux?