[vox-tech] Linux can't play blu-ray??!!??

Darth Borehd darth.borehd at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 09:40:22 PDT 2011

I have been using a Linux media center computer with Ubuntu 10.04 to play
hulu and Youtube videos as well as play DVDs for a couple of years now.  I
finally upgraded the drive to a blu-ray player and got my first blu-ray
disk...

Only to find I can't play it!
Not Totem, VLC, or mplayer will touch it.  I did some searching and the only
thing I could find was some wonky workaraound about streaming it with some
program called makemkv and then watching stream.  When it works at all,
which is not often, it is choppy and has video quality drop outs.  Is there
really no other way to watch blu-ray discs on Linux?