[vox-tech] squid proxy server & client configuration to bypass GFW

Kristen Eisenberg kristen.eisenberg at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 27 03:34:00 PDT 2011

hello all:

Here is the thing. A friend of mine in China wanted to access Google's
android developer site, unfortunately since Google stopped business in
China, its tech sites seemed also being blocked by the Great Firewall.

So he asked me for a solution. I checked and it seems Squid proxy is the way
to go.

I've instlled Squid on my Ubuntu 9.10 home server, however, the
configuration seems complex in both server and client (I presume it's a
browser).

Now the question: if my sole purpose is to allow my friend to access certain
websites throu the proxy server, what info I need from him and how to config
the /etc/squid/squid.conf? What I need to let him know so that he can do his
part to make the connection?

I did some google, and start wondering if the ssh tunneling or firefox
configureation is part of this effort?

Anyway, I am really out of depth in this domain - the question might sound
silly, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Kristen Eisenberg
Billige Flüge
Marketing GmbH
Emanuelstr. 3,