[vox-tech] Wi-Fi

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Oct 21 04:08:59 PDT 2011

I think that putting wlan0 in your interfaces file interferes with proper function of automated tools like wicd.
DCN:<jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us> Basics: ##.#. ##.#. Live Go...
Live: OO#.. Dead: OO#.. Playing

Richard Harke <paleopenguin at gmail.com> wrote:

To follow up:  I removed knetworkmanager and installed wicd. I got mixed results.
At my favorite coffee spot, I got the free wi-fi on wicd's connect menu and it
actually did connect. But it does not work for my home network. Of course the
free wi-fi is not encrypted while my home wi-fi is set to WPA2. I have been able to
connect manually (using ifup). Also, with wicd I didn't see any way
to disconnect.
I do get my home network on the connect menu of wicd but according
to syslog dhcp fails to get an IP. When I use ifup, it gets an IP on the first
try.

Richard

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Nick Schmalenberger <nick at schmalenberger.us> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 09:33:57PM -0700, Cam Ellison wrote:
> On 11-10-17 07:02 PM, Richard Harke wrote:
> > I got a new router/access point and have been going nuts trying to get
> > my laptop to connect
> > via wireless. I previously had static IP addresses but my wife wanted
> > me to change to dhcp
> > to make things easier for her windows machines. Well, her machines are
> > just fine. The dos I've
> > read said that fr KDE I should use knetworkmanager, which I'm trying
> > to do. I finally left
> > my eth0 config in /etc/network/interfaces and intend for
> > knetworkmanager to just handle
> > wireless. I think I'm getting close as I now get a popup window for
> > the pass phrase but
> > still no connection.
> Dump knetworkmanager and download wicd.  It's easier to work with and it
> works like a charm.

I still just use /etc/network/interfaces, even for wpa wireless
networks. If there are some I don't connect to often, I keep a
separate wpa_supplicant configuration file for them
(wpa_passphrase generates it) and use that manually with
wpa_supplicant then run dhclient manually.
Nick