[vox-tech] saving Flash streaming video

Bill Broadley bill at broadley.org
Fri May 6 20:45:16 PDT 2011

On 05/06/2011 01:05 PM, Norm Matloff wrote:

> My daughter participated in a robotics competition in school, and the
> event video is on the Web.  I'd like to save part of it to disk.  As far
> as I know, there are no copyright issues. and anyway it would just be a
> few minutes for personal use.

Depends, sometimes that requires special tools.  Sometimes right
clicking on page properties or similar will expose a file called
something .flv.  Sometimes it's obscured with javascript.  I'd highlight
it the video and say inspect object, or wget and grep.

> I've tried the tricks on the Web, and the Firefox add-ons, to no avail.
> Any suggestions?

If it's public the URL would help of if it's using a site like youtube,
break, or related that's likely close enough.

I've had to use a few different methods for different sites.