[vox-tech] hsqldb

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Tue Mar 22 10:42:25 PDT 2011

Many of you have probably used HSQLDB without realizing it.
OpenOffice uses it!

Here is some info on HSQLDB. A lot of tutorials for Java use HSQLDB, but
you can use HSQLDB with PERL too. You can start an HSQLDB server with a
single command. The following will start a database with called EMPLOYEE.

java -cp <path to>/hsqldb.jar org.hsqldb.Server -database.0 file:db/employee -dbname.0 EMPLOYEE

The data for EMPLOYEE will be stored in the sub-directory db.

HSQLDB comes with a nice GUI tool too!

java -cp <path to>/hsqldb.jar org.hsqldb.util.DatabaseManager -driver org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver -url jdbc:hsqldb:hsql://localhost/empoloyee -user sa

You can download hsqldb from the below site. Thus far, I have used 1.8.0 version. There is a new version,
but I believe it works a bit different. But,... it probably comes with more features.
http://www.hsqldb.org

Here is some documentation using HSQLDB with PERL.
http://hsqldb-ber.sourceforge.net/

brian
--
Brian Lavender